home | contact us

Friday, April 3, 2009

Do You Know Guy Kawasaki?

I'll be the first to admit that before sometime last year, I had no idea who Guy Kawasaki really was. I had heard the name but I really didn't know who he was or for that matter really care. I did not follow technology in great detail, nor did I pay much attention to quirky marketing books. I read strategy, finance and books on execution. Not fuzzy books on marketing by guys named Guy and Seth (Godin).

Then, for whatever reason I kept hearing about Guy and started following him on his blog - How to Change the World, which it turns out is one of the most popular blogs in the world. The blog is everything mine is not (i.e. short and too the point) and is usually very informative. Guy is also a Twitter fanatic and I attempt to follow him (I could never read all the links he sends) when I can. Guy is also a well known author - his last book is entitled "Reality Check" and I just picked it up. Its 475 pages, so I'm not confident that I'll finish it anytime soon!

If you would like to get yourself familiar with Guy Kawasaki, but don't want to commit to 475 pages, I strongly recommend reading the interview Josh Bernoff of Groundswell conducted with him. The interview is light, but covers a variety of topics, including the 10/20/30 rule that says every presentation should have no more than 10 slides, last for 20 minutes and contain a font smaller than 30 points. I also found the interview interesting because of his comment that he really doesn't care about Web 1.0, 2.0 or the macro picture. One should be focused on building a "kick ass company". This is a point that we often try to get across to people we talk to who get worried about the things they can't control.

Anyways, check out the interview and his blog - I would highly recommend putting him on your RSS feed. Also, be sure to check out his company ALLTOP, which is a really great way to filter all the blogs out there. I use it frequently. Now, if I can just get the Vann Report on ALLTOP.

No comments: